Thursday, July 25, 2019

Frog Man (Liz Sidener poem - 10/13/1990)

There is a frog man statue that lives in the pond in my backyard.
Although I could never know him, because of course he doesn't speak, I still have feelings for the small stony man. I take walks through all the paths every morning in m yard and I walk past the pond where he resides. He lives among the lily pads, cool water, and all the other creatures of the pond.
He stands so still, so firm. He never once changes his expression or stance. I often wonder how a being could stay unchanged for such a long time. I often speak aimlessly to him about my every day life or chatter away about insignificant occurrences and although he is always very patient, he never replies. I always think my visits will persuade him to smile and if he does, it is only on the inside, in his soul. Yes, I am very patient with my stone frog man. I know he will never change but I love him all the more for his determination. I respect his fate and his destiny.

No comments: